Since 1982, Glenns Ferry Health Center, Inc. dba Desert Sage Health Centers has delivered quality care for communities in Elmore and Owyhee Counties.
Desert Sage Health Centers believes in patient-focused care delivered through a caring team of competent and caring health care professionals. As a Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH), level two recognized organization, Desert Sage Health Centers prides itself in the quality of care it delivers to more than 6,400 annual patients at three health center site locations. Our integrated system emphasizes prevention, healthy living and is designed to reduce health care disparities and avoid unnecessary trips to emergency rooms or other more costly forms of care.
At Desert Sage Health Centers, we are looking for people who are living out their calling. We want you to be passionate about coming to work, and challenged to achieve your potential. Living by these virtues, we pride ourselves on exceptional service and the highest quality of care.
The Behavioral Health Specialist is responsible for providing screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) and other behavioral health services to DSHC patients. Functions as a core member of an integrated care team including the patient's primary care provider and other mental health providers involved in the patient's care.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Provide integrated mental health services and care coordination to GFHC clinic patients needing these Behavioral Health services.
1. Maintains a visible presence to the PCP’s during clinic operating hours
2. Is available for “curbside” consultation (a brief interaction between the BHC and PCP) by being in the clinic or available by phone or pager
3. Is available for same day and scheduled initial consultations with patients referred by PCPs
4. Performs brief, limited follow-up visits for selected patients
5. Provides a range of services including screening for common conditions, assessments, and interventions related to chronic disease management programs
6. Conducts risk assessments, as indicated
7. Provides psycho-education for patients during visits
8. Maintains an up-to-date library of patient education materials for commonly seen problems
9. Provides brief behavioral and cognitive behavioral interventions for patients
10. Provides PCPs with same-day verbal feedback on client encounters either in person or by phone
11. Facilities and oversees referrals to specialty MH/SA services, and when appropriate, support a smooth transition from specialty MH/SA services to primary care
12. Presents the PCBH model to private and public programs and agencies, in order to establish effective linkages and resources
13. Prepares brief consultant notes for the medical chart that explain assessment findings, interventions delivered, and recommendations made to the PCP.
14. Maintains clinical records and other necessary paperwork in a timely manner to comply with all administrative regulations
15. Educates PCPs in the basic principles of brief behavioral and cognitive behavioral interventions and reinforce their use in the medical visit
16. Supports collaboration of PCPs and psychiatrists concerning medication protocols.
17. Provides assistance in capturing program evaluation and fidelity measures.
18. Attends clinic meetings, including medical staff meetings
In general, the BHC does not provide time intensive case management and traditional medical social work services such as referral management and coordination, procuring medical goods, and patient advocacy.
1) Requires more advanced organizational skills in order to organize projects and supervision of the work of others
2) Job duties require the ability to work independently and as part of a team
3) Job responsibilities require individual development of priorities for effective performance of duties, including re-prioritization in response to changes in circumstances
4) Work requires consideration of the way the work affects other employees outside the department or functional area
5) Employees are expected to devise effective solutions to situations encountered based on the general goals and objectives of the function
6) This position exercises leadership over others, but does not have actual supervisory
Professional & Technical Knowledge
Job duties require knowledge and training in the field of behavioral and mental health typically acquired through a formal Master’s level degree program in counseling or social work.
- Master's Degree in Social Work or Counseling
- Licensed to practice in the State of Idaho
- Experience post-licensure in behavioral health counseling
- COVID-19 vaccine is required
- Experience with brief short-term therapy strategies preferred
- Bilingual and/or bicultural competencies preferred
1. Experience working with patients who have co-occurring mental health, substance abuse, and physical health problems; familiarity with screening and assessment, differential diagnoses, evidence-based psychosocial treatments and psychopharmacology for common mental/substance use disorders.
2. Experience with evidence-based counseling techniques (e.g., CBT or PST) and brief, structured counseling techniques (e.g., SBIRT, motivational interviewing, behavioral activation).
3. Experience working with underserved, transient populations
4. Experience working with social services eligibility programs including program eligibility requirements, enrollment processes and billing requirements, or Regional Support Network structures.
5. Fully functional in use of FHC’s Electronic Health Record (EHR) system and Electronic Practice Management (EPM) systems
6. Fully functional in use of Microsoft Outlook.
7. Ability to access and use web-based applications and other computer programs including tele health.
Desert Sage Health Centers provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.