POSITION TITLE: Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse
RESPONSIBLE TO: Practice Manager/Director of Nursing
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Purpose of this Position: Assist providers in procedures and care of patients. May screen patients and assist them in presenting their problems to medical providers. Perform lab tests, administer injections or immunizations as requested by medical providers and according to established protocols. Provide health education. Adhere to all applicable clinic policies and procedures.
- Must hold license in state of primary workplace and be licensed in the other state (Idaho/Oregon) within 90 days of hire date. Oregon and Idaho licensures must be maintained at all times.
- Must hold current CPR card (healthcare provider).
- Must hold current ACLS and PALS Certification or obtain within 6 months of hire and maintain at all times.
- Prefer previous medical office experience.
- Must be accurate, exacting, orderly and methodical in work detail.
- Neat, professional appearance with a pleasant and positive manner.
- Willing to work within team concept.
- Sensitive to needs of VFHC clientele.
- Willing to work for the successful accomplishment of VFHC goals and objectives.
- Speech must be clear, distinct and convincing. Prefer bilingual English/Spanish.
- Experience with basic computer and general typing skills.
- Administer medications and treatments as ordered by medical provider (physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner), or by protocol, including giving injections and immunizations.
- Assist providers with procedures as needed.
- Perform EKG, vision and hearing screenings.
- Apply dressings to wounds.
- May screen patients and assist them in presenting their problems to medical providers.
- Triage and screen patient/provider phone calls.
- Triage prescription refill phone calls by protocol.
- Triage and schedule patient walk-in/call-in appointments.
- Provide patient and family counseling and health education as ordered by medical providers or by protocol.
- May initiate and perform lab work as trained and as indicated by protocol.
- Maintain a safe, private, clean, neat and comfortable clinic and lab environment.
- Provide offsite services as scheduled according to medical provider orders or as indicated by protocol.
- Make referral appointments.
- Assist in documenting and maintaining medical charts.
- Perform other related duties as required for health center operation. May relieve at other sites as needed.
- Maintain strict confidence on all information gained in the performance of duties with Valley Family Health Care.
- Completely and correctly document in patient electronic charts all medication orders/refills called into pharmacy.
- Document all patient care activities.
- Document in electronic chart all telephone communications with clients.
- Maintain appropriate levels of current date medical supplies and medications.
- Perform and record quality control procedures as required.
- Clean and sterilize instruments.
- Record freezer, refrigerator and incubator temperatures and report any abnormal or out-of-range values immediately to supervisor or Director of Nursing.
- Issue appropriate immunization information sheets to parent or legal guardian and obtain signature on consent sheets.
- Assist with gathering of information for immunization assessment – i.e. IRIS.
- Assist with meeting quality measures by completing tasks related to VFHC initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Patient Centered Care:
- Facilitate health and disease patient education.
- Support patient self-management of disease and behavior modification interventions.
- Conduct preventive screenings for patients.
- Promote clear communication among the care team by ensuring awareness regarding patient care plans.
- Facilitate patient medication management based upon standing orders and protocols.
- Participate on a team for data collection and health outcomes reporting related to patient centered care.
- Need to be able to lift up to 25 lbs frequently.
- Continual standing, walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, stretching, lifting.
- Normal manual dexterity.
- Correctable vision and hearing.